Rotisserie is a style of roasting meat skewered on a long solid rod over a fire in a fireplace or roasted in an oven. The meat is cooked by occasional rotation of the rod over the fire. The meat gets cooked in its own juice and the continuous rotation ensures that it gets evenly basted throughout.
Is Rotisserie Chicken Healthy?
Rotisserie chicken is healthy as it uses the dry method of cooking—just seasoning with no prior greasing. The dry cooking method keeps fat and calories in lean protein meat like chicken low. In addition, rotisserie chicken contains a high amount of protein, and provides fair amounts of vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, potassium, and vitamin B12. It also contains niacin which promotes healthy digestion and improves skin and nerve health.
Simple Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
- 1 (3 pounds) whole chicken
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ¼ tablespoon ground black pepper
Take a pinch of salt and season the chicken, including the inside. Skewer it on a rotisserie and then grill on high temperature. Roast for 10 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, mix butter with one tablespoon of salt, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl. Reduce the grill temperature to medium and carefully glaze the chicken with the butter mixture. Let it set and cook the chicken for one to one-and-a-half hours. Keep basting the chicken with the butter mixture occasionally.
Take the temperature of the chicken thigh after the cook time completes. It should read 180°F. Remove the chicken from the rotisserie and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into small pieces and serve with cheesy dip.
Here are some rotisserie models on Amazon at discounted prices.
1. Ronco 4000 Series Rotisserie, Stainless Steel
Price: $100.99 and FREE Shipping
- Polished stainless steel body
- Capacity holds a 15-pound turkey, a 10-pound ham, four salmon steaks, 15 Italian sausages, two five-pound chickens, up to 9 quarter-pound burgers, BBQ ribs, fish and much, much more!
- Washable parts (rotisserie baskets, spit rods, and glass door)
- Three-way rotisserie controls allow for normal rotation and no-heat rotation, as well as “pause-to-sear” and “set it and forget it” features
2. Ronco ST5000PLGEN Showtime Rotisserie Platinum Edition
Price: $129.23 and FREE Shipping
- Removable heat shield sears meat to perfection
- Good heat insulation and exterior handles remain cool
- Saves energy by using a third less energy than your conventional oven
- Washable parts
- Elegant look with compact finish (13″ tall)
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Foods 4 Better Health may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Ipateno, S., “Nutrition Information of Rotisserie Chicken,” LIVESTRONG.COM web site, January 13, 2014; http://www.livestrong.com/article/351843-rotisserie-chicken-nutrition-information/, last accessed February 14, 2017
“Rotisserie Chicken,” Allrecipes web site; http://allrecipes.com/recipe/93168/rotisserie-chicken/, last accessed February 14, 2017