Jennifer Lawrence’s workout schedule is intense, thanks to her trainer Dalton Wong. Wong has gotten Lawrence in shape for everything from red carpet Dior dresses to on-screen costumes that mostly consist of blue paint.
He started working with her in 2010 where they spent 10 to 12 hours a day for three months working out before she started filming for X-Men: First Class. Jennifer Lawrence’s workout routine was effective. Lawrence says that Wong changed her body for the movie and gave her the skills to change her life.
Wong also tackled Jennifer Lawrence’s diet plan, which he says was enlightening because it helped him understand how to alter a 20-year old’s diet while still allowing that 20 year old to be young and eat accordingly. He taught Lawrence how to eat the right amount of fats, proteins, and carbs for her body.
Go-to snacks he suggested for her were turkey, hummus and vegetables, and even dark chocolate. It was a portion-controlled diet that ensured she had enough fuel in her body to get through some of those high-action scenes.
How Does Jennifer Lawrence Stay in Shape?
What is Jennifer Lawrence’s body workout? When prepping for X-Men, Lawrence exercised whenever and wherever possible, even 15 minutes between scenes. Wong tells People that taking even 15 minutes to “do something for your body” gives you an instant lift that will build change over time.
Below is a 15-minute, full-body workout that Wong put together (and which Lawrence likely does in those spare 15 minutes). And who doesn’t want to mimic a Jennifer Lawrence workout? This fast, but effective routine comes from Wong’s book The Feelgood Plan, which he co-wrote with health and lifestyle journalist Kate Faithfull-Williams.
Here’s your cheat sheet to an at-home Jennifer Lawrence gym workout.
1. Lunges, Pendulum Style
- Step back on your right foot and lower your knee to the floor.
- Your left heel takes the weight; take a large step ahead with the right leg, so your left knee hovers above the floor.
- Do the same thing on the left leg.
- Do a traditional squat while holding a weight, something you are comfortable with.
3. Side Plank
- Do a standard side plank and hold for 30 seconds and then switch sides.
4. Kneeling push-ups
- Bend the elbows and lower the chest to the ground in a controlled way.
- Push up until the elbows are straight.
- Engage your abs and the space between your shoulder blades.
5. Toning the Back
- Position yourself into a squat; your arms should be hanging down. Hold lightweights in each hand.
- Bend your arms and move your elbows so they are positioned alongside your ribcage.
- You want to keep a straight spine so squeeze your abs.
6. Back Extensions
- Lie face down and lift your head and arms roughly three inches from the floor. Hold for 10 seconds. Continue for one minute.
7. Mountain Climbers (everybody’s favorite!)
- Position yourself in a plank.
- Bring your left knee to your chest and hold for one second.
- Alternate legs and do this for one minute.
“Jennifer Lawrence’s Trainer Reveals How She Got Her Sexy Figure: ‘He Changed My Body,’ She Says,” People great ideas web site, March 1, 2016;
http://greatideas.people.com/2016/03/01/jennifer-lawrence-trainer-diet-workout-tips/, last accessed August 19, 2016.
Haak, E., “Jennifer Lawrence’s Trainer Shares His 15-Minute Full-Body Workout,” Oprah web site, March 21, 2016;
http://www.oprah.com/health_wellness/Jennifer-Lawrence-Full-Body-Workout, last accessed August 19, 2016.